Instead of a FAQ page (the questions are very tame) I thought it would be better to tell you what
to look for in a tattoo/piercing parlor.
This is only a guide to help you find the best tattoo/piercing parlor that you can.
Your health and safety should be the first concern. This pertains to not only you but also the
parlor that you receive the tattoo/piercing from.
If you or someone you know is contemplating having a tattoo or a piercing, you should be aware
of and ask the following questions of the practitioner:
01) Does the establishment have a current license displayed for the public to see?
Does the practitioner have a current license to practice the art of tattooing or piercing? Is it
02) Is the establishment clean and well maintained? I.e. No food or drink laying around, floors
should be clean, No smoking allowed, no unsavory characters lounging around.
03) Are the practitioner's hands and fingernails clean?
04) Is the practitioner dressed in clean clothes?
05) Is the practitioner conducting himself in a clean and sober manner? Does the practitioner
06) Can the practitioner demonstrate that all tattoo/piercing needles and equipment are sterilized
and utilized for one client only?
07) Ask the practitioner if he/she uses an autoclave for sterilizing instruments, barrels & other
08) Ask to see the autoclave and the instrument cleaning area.
09) Ask to see the disposal of used needles. If there are none ask why? Unless the practitioner
just disposed of used needles, there should be used needles to demonstrate that the practitioner
is utilizing new, one-use sterilized needles.
10) Ask the practitioner how he/she cleans the piercing instruments, needle bars & tubes/barrels?
There should be an ultra-sonic cleaner for this purpose.
11) Does the practitioner have disposable gloves to wear for each tattoo/piercing procedure on
each client? Ask to see them.
12) Ask to see the practitioner's room. Is it clean?
13) Does the practitioner have photo examples of body art they have performed on other clients?
Ask to see their portfolio.
14) If possible, ask friends or others if they have ever had body art performed by the practitioner.
15) Is there a sink with Anti-Bacterial Soap present for hand washing?
16) Is the shop and areas for tattooing/body piercing clean and organized?
17) Speak with the staff. Are they knowledgeable? Do they seem friendly & competent?
18) If there are any other clients in the shop, are they sober?
19) Does the staff present themselves in a sober/drug free manner?
20) You can always check with the Board of Health in the city that the tattoo shop is located in
and ask them if there are any complaints about the shop or do they recommend the shop.
Above all, DON'T BE AFRAID TO ASK QUESTIONS!